Image Map

Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram Email Family Home Crafty Recipes Goals Blog Roll PR

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tasty Thursday: Chicken Corn Chowder

For this week's Tasty Thursday, I've decided to share yet another amazing recipe from J's collection. When we lived in Virginia, he worked in a bookstore and would spend some of his breaks perusing the cookbooks for recipes that intrigued him. This is one of them. A super easy crock pot meal, perfect for cold winter days!

Chicken Corn Chowder in a Bread Bowl

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 package of taco seasoning
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 can of creamed corn
20 oz. of chicken broth/stock
1 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp. flour
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
6 red potatoes, diced into 1" cubes

Directions
  • Chicken can be precooked or raw (we usually throw it in raw and it comes out SO tender). 
  • Combine broth, water, flour, taco seasoning, and cheese in slow cooker and let the cheese melt. 
  • Add other ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours.
Seriously, that's it. When we make this, I usually throw in the first ingredients right when I wake up, then before I head out the door, throw in the rest (the cheese is melted by then).

After 8 hours, come home to your house smelling wonderful and dig in. We like eating it in a bread bowl; it really makes this into a meal. The chowder freezes well (if it lasts that long) and can be easily altered to your spicy taste.

Want to check out other yummy recipes? Check out the Tasty Thursday Recipe Swap blog hop over at The How to Mommy!






3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!!
    I'm going to try to make this this week (but maybe cut down on the cheese or use low fat - trying to eat healthy) =)
    Thanks OSC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low fat?! What's the fun in that? ;-) It's so hearty, even with lower fat ingredients, its yummy. Enjoy! :-D

      Delete
  2. Made this yesterday - perfect "polar vortex" day soup. My only caution - check the size of your crockpot before you make this. I'm not sure how big mine is - I got it from my mom when she upgraded - but I think it is between 4.5 and 6. If it was smaller everything wouldn't have fit. It makes a lot of soup so in the future I think I may half the recipe, while I shop for a bigger crockpot. :)

    ReplyDelete