Image Map

Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram Email Family Home Crafty Recipes Goals Blog Roll PR

Saturday, January 1, 2011

DIY Growth Chart

Its not a secret that Jeff and I move...a lot. This past summer was the first summer in about 9 years that I didn't pack up all my stuff and move. Now that Charlie is here, I really wanted to be able to chart his growth throughout the years, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could pick a door jam to mark up like normal families do. Instead, I made a growth chart that we can take with us from home to home.

I went to Lowe's and picked up a 2" x 6' plank of wood for $5 and some paint and wood accents from Michael's for about $6. I painted all the pieces, glued it all together, and put up his first two measurements (birth and one month old). I plan to chart each month for a year, then every six months until five, and once a year after that. The chart is only 6 feet high, but with the genes Jeff and I have supplied this boy, if he reaches 6 fee tall I will be amazed! :-P


I added an eye hook to the top of the chart so I could hang it on the wall, taking it down to update it and inevitably move. I used ribbon and card stock pieces to mark the heights, making sure to put enough materials aside to have them throughout the years. It would be so sad to run out half way through and have to find more!

All in all, the project cost very little and only took about an hour and a half to make, most of that being paint drying time. Now the hard part - remembering to update it!

1 comment:

  1. this is so cute, I wish we did the same when DS was born. We marked him on the wall downstairs but have now moved upstairs and took a picture of the wall before it was painted over so we at least have that.

    ReplyDelete