Image Map

Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram Email Family Home Crafty Recipes Goals Blog Roll PR

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life Since March 26th

Life has been pretty darn interesting since March 26th.

That Friday started out like any other. My alarm went off at 8AM, I sleepily rolled over, and proceeded to take my temperature (I'd been tracking my basal body temperature over the previous few months as we were trying to convince). It was the make it or break it time of the month - if my temperature took a dive, I'd know the cycle was over and there was always next month. If my temperature remained high, however, I knew there was still a chance.

The thermometer beeped and I squinted in the dark to read it. Still high. Hmm, I wonder. I got up and stumbled to the bathroom to take a pregnancy test. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of peeing on a stick, let me tell you. Regardless of which outcome you are hoping for, its the longest three minutes of your life. My coping mechanism for this three minute eternity is to find something else to do. So, I left the test on the counter and went to pick out my clothes for the day. Exactly 180 seconds later, I held my breath and picked up the test.

What?! Really?! After years of trying NOT to get pregnant, my hopes and dreams had been granted and two pink lines stared back at me. Okay...now what do I do? Jeff wouldn't be home until 4:00pm and I had a whole day of work ahead of me. You want to test your will power? Go about your normal daily routine with a brain full of the most exciting news of your entire life. I got to work at 9:00am, daydreamed for a few hours, and went home. There was no way I'd be concentrating on anything.

Jeff got home at about 3:45pm and was surprised to find me on the couch rather than at work. I had no interest in coming up with a cutesy way of telling him the good news; I was way too excited. He came over to hug me and I thrust my positive pee stick in his face. Puzzled at first, he tried to be supportive despite his, "what am I looking at?" face. Once it clicked, he face lit up and he gave me a huge hug. We were going to be parents. Now what?!

I called the doctor's office and set up an appointment for an initial ultrasound. They wanted to see me April 20th, meaning almost a month's wait to learn more about our new addition. We decided not to share the good news until we knew everything was okay. Thus started a long few weeks of quiet excitement.

Our first ultrasound gave a us quick peek at our tiny little person, not much bigger than a speck. Jeff did well for it being his first visit to the OB-GYN. The top picture shows the baby and the yolk sack (what supports the baby before the placenta is formed) and the bottom picture shows the baby's heartbeat - a healthy 155 bpm! It was amazing to see it flickering on the ultrasound screen.



Everything looked great. The size of the baby gave me a due date of December 8th - right before finals week. With good news and our new pictures to show off, we told our families while we were home in early May visiting Chris and Mike for Landon's birth. Needless to say, Grandma and Grandpa were VERY excited! We told my Dad that he'd better get used to being called Grandpa and we told Jeff's Mom that we had a birthday/Mother's Day gift for her, but that she couldn't have it until Christmas. Laughs and tears all around.


Our next appointment was scheduled for June 1st and another ultrasound was conducted to check for chromosomal abnormalities. Again, everything looked great and the baby's growth was right on target. The top picture shows the baby's face (towards the center) and the bottom picture shows the baby's spine.




Once these tests came back looking good, we decided it was time to tell the world! Now the word is out and its a good thing too, by 12 weeks it was getting pretty obvious that I was either pregnant or had been in the cookie jar too often. Let me tell you, every morning is an adventure when your getting bigger by the day - which clothes will fit today?! Luckily, maternity clothes are super comfy!













Now, at 16 weeks, I've decided to start this blog to document this little adventure that Jeff and I have embarked on from now until who knows when. There is so much to prepare for and think about, we're not quite sure where to start, but I guess that's part of the fun.

So, to whatever readers this may entertain, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment